You can create one or many paid time off (PTO) policies for your business so you can easily manage how much time employees take off.
Part 1: Set your PTO categories
- Sign in to your Homebase account.
- Select the Settings tab in the top navigation bar.
- Select Time Off & PTO from the navigation bar on the left.
- Under Time Off Categories that Count Towards PTO, select the time off categories that you want to count towards PTO. You have the following categories to choose from:
- Vacation (unpaid)
- Vacation (paid)
- Jury Duty
- Sick Leave
- Personal Medical Emergency
- Family Medical Emergency
Part 2: Create a policy
- From the same Time Off page, click Create a New Policy.
- Name your policy.
- Select how you'd like employee's hours to accrue, fixed or hourly.
- For a fixed policy: Enter the total amount of time off per year. The time will be earned all at once at the beginning of each year.
- For an hourly policy: Enter the hours employees should earn per hour worked.
Note, it’s always smart (and in most cases required) to have a written agreement with your employees outlining your time off policies.
In Homebase, an employee can have a negative time off balance if they are approved for more time off than their allocated balance. Employees are expected to pay back a negative balance by either continuing to work until their balance is positive or by having their employer deduct a small amount from their paycheck until the advance is paid back (whichever is outlined in your PTO policy).
Homebase does not handle cashing out PTO in any way. This is expected to be managed directly with employees. We only provide balance tracking for your convenience.