You can make scheduling fast and easy even for lengthy employee lists. You can easily auto-schedule open shifts or apply saved templates to your entire schedule. Using a customizable formula, the schedule is automatically applied to eligible employees based off of a points system taking into account time-off and availability, max number of hours per week (set by employer), seniority, and their roles specified on the Team page.
Part 1: Create employee roles
- Sign in to your Homebase account.
- Select the Schedule tab in the top navigation bar.
- Select Departments/Roles below the navigation bar.
- Select Add New Department in the top right corner to create a department.
- Add roles to your department by typing in the blank field to the right of your department, then Create new role.
- Delete roles by clicking the X next to the role.
- Delete departments by clicking the trash can icon to the right.
- To edit the name of your department, click the blue pencil icon to the right.
Part 2 (Optional): Set employee auto-scheduling rules
- Select the Team tab in the top navigation bar.
- Select an employee’s name.
- Select the Auto-Schedule Rules tab.
- You can customize hours per week, seniority level, and roles the employee can work.
Homebase automatically pre-populates employee roles based on the last 60 days of information and will auto-schedule an employee in that role if they are still assigned to it.
Part 3: Create an open shifts template
Create a template to save your open shifts as a blank template before utilizing the auto-schedule feature. This will allow you to quickly reset and adjust your schedule if needed.
- Select Schedule in the top navigation bar.
- Select the date range in the top left corner.
- Create all of your needed shifts in the open shifts row. Click ADD+ under each day column on the Open Shifts row.
- If you need multiple shifts covered per day, select the plus icon on the first created shift to create another shift and click on the shift to edit the time.
- Select Tools in the upper right corner.
- Select Templates.
- Enter a template name.
- Select Create.
- This creates a template of the shifts you need covered that can be used to auto-schedule in future weeks.
Part 4: Auto-schedule your shifts
- Once your open shifts are scheduled in the open shifts row, select the wand icon (Auto-Schedule) next to Open Shifts.
- Select the rules you’d like to apply and select Auto-Schedule.
- Open shifts will stay in the open shifts row if there is no employee availability to cover a shift.
- When your schedule is made, select Publish in the top right corner.
Q: How are employees and shifts prioritized in the Auto-Scheduling process?
A: We use a points-based system to allow for even scheduling. First, Time-Off and Availability are taken into consideration. Second, the maximum number of hours employees have shown preference to work, seniority, and their roles specified on the Team page. Third, if an employee is scheduled less hours than another, they are chosen for a shift.