When viewing the payroll summary for a previous payment, you can view all payments under the Payments tab. In this article, we're going to break down what each payroll status means, so you'll have a clear picture of every step in the payroll process.
Under the Payroll Tab, view the payroll summary you under Payroll runs at the bottom of the screen. On each payroll run, the status column will show you where you are in the payroll process.
This status can read as Draft, Pending, Processing, Paid, Partially Paid, Incomplete, or Refunded.
- A Payroll is a Draft after it has been created but before it has been submitted. Payroll must be started before 7 pm ET on the day of the submission deadline.
- A Payroll is Pending from the time it is submitted until the submission cutoff time (7 pm ET) on the day it is due. These can be reopened for edits before the submission cut-off on the payroll due date.
- A Payroll is Processing after the banking cutoff time on the day it is due, at which point the funds will be withdrawn via ACH from the business bank account. Processing Payrolls cannot be edited.
- A Payroll is Paid when paychecks are distributed via direct deposit to team members’ accounts.
Paid Payroll cannot be edited.
- A Payroll is Failed/Partially Paid when a direct deposit fails for an individual employee.
The client will receive an email notifying them.
- To resolve this, you can:
Retry the payment once the employee’s bank account information is updated.
Recieve a refund and may your employee manually.
- A Payroll is Incomplete when there is an NSF issue (Insufficient Funds).
- Incomplete Payrolls cannot be edited.
- You will see a red banner on your Payroll Dashboard, asking to resolve the NSF with either a wire or a redraft.
- A payroll shows as Refunded when the money's been refunded back into the employer's bank account, meaning the employee hasn't been paid yet.
- To ensure that your employee has been paid, you will need to pay your employee manually.