This article refers to iPad Time Clock versions 4.0 and above. This version is currently in pre-release testing. If you'd like to participate in the test, please email email@example.com
The Homebase iPad time clock app works on nearly any iPad device with iOS 10 or above. It is available for free download in the iTunes App store, and it works with the free and paid Homebase plans.
About the pre-release test
Thanks for being part of our time clock pre-release test! We'll keep you up-to-date about what you'll see and what's coming up here.
Updated for the 8/9/2019 pre-release version:
- Faster experience
- Fixed issues:
- Employees can PIN in if the device is disconnected from the internet briefly
- Employees can see how much time is left in their break if they PIN back in early
- Known issues:
- Time card history does not include which device employees clocked in from
- Break options are not removed after employee takes them
- Flakiness in manager/owner overrides with break/clock-in enforcement and unscheduled shifts
- Coming up in the next version:
- Fixes to the known issues
- Ability to view schedules in app
- Navigation updates (including moving the sign out button so it isn't as easy to do it accidentally!)
Have you been using the pre-release app? If so, we'd love your feedback!
Get the iPad time clock
If you have already signed up for Homebase:
- From your iPad, visit the App Store
- Search for Homebase or tap this link
- Download the app onto your iPad
Only people with Owner, General Manager or Manager permissions may sign in to the iPad. Once you have signed into the iPad time clock, the time clock app will stay logged in until you sign out or update the app in the app store.
If you have already signed up for Homebase:
- Enter your email address and password
- Tap sign in
If you have owner or manager permissions at more than one company that uses Homebase, or if you have these permissions at different locations for the same company, you will see a location picker. Select the location for this iPad time clock. The time clock can only be logged into one location at a time.
- To sign out, tap the menu on the upper left of the screen
- Tap sign out
If you have not yet signed up for Homebase, tap create your free account.
This will open a web browser on your iPad. (You can also create a free account using your computer)
Once you’ve completed account set up, return to the main app page and sign in using the email and password you used to create your new account.
Employee PIN numbers
Once you’re signed in to the app, you’ll see the PIN screen.
Homebase assigns each employee a unique PIN code when you add them to your team Roster. You can find PIN numbers by signing into the web app at joinhomebase.com> Team >Roster> Locations & Pins.
Employees receive their PIN number via email (if an email is provided); the PIN is also included at the bottom of the “More” screen of the employee version of the Homebase mobile app.
Clock in and clock out
Each person using the time clock to clock in, take a break, or clock out, must enter a valid PIN number to clock in or clock out.
The app takes a photo of the employee each time they PIN in and attaches each photo to the time card.
Once the employee has clocked in, Homebase creates a time card for that shift and captures the photo for each activity. Time cards are found on the web. Once you arrive on the timesheets page, adjust the desired date range in the upper left corner, and make sure you are on “detailed view” not “summary view”.
Owners and managers can view, adjust and export timecards from that page.
Employees are unable to adjust time cards, and are only capable of viewing their own hours worked.
Breaks on the time clock
If breaks are set up for the location, they will appear on the iPad timeclock.
For clocked in employees, break options will show upon their next PIN in.
Employees on break must end their break before the clock out.
Visit the break settings page to view break requirements for your state and to set up breaks.
Post shift activities
You can collect post shift ratings and feedback from your team from the iPad time clock.
Visit the time clock settings page and opt into “Ask employees for feedback at the end of their shift.”
Once this setting is on, your team will see an optional star rating and an optional text box upon clock out.
Once this setting is on, your team will see an optional cash tip entry text box upon clock out.
When your team enters cash tips, you’ll see the amounts on the timesheet for that day.
Be sure to select the “cash tips” option in the “Edit columns” tool on the timesheet page.
If you create a schedule for your location, anyone on the team can access it from the iPad time clock.
To access schedule view:
- Tap the schedule icon left side of the screen
- Week view shows the schedule for the entire week.
- Day view shows the days schedule and clock in status for each member of the team.
Visit your schedule page online to create and update your schedule.
The Homebase iPad time clock works in English or Spanish.
Language settings for the location are set in your iPad settings. Once you’ve selected your general settings, the selection will be the default language for all users on the iPad.
- Visit Settings > General > Language & Region
- Select your desired language (English or Spanish)
Individual employees may also set their language.
Employee language settings only appear once they are PINned in.
Employees can set their language on the time clock or in their individual profile on the Homebase mobile app.
The Homebase time clock is a powerful tool with many settings and features.
Popular settings & features include:
- Shift notes that appear on the schedule and upon clock in for each team
- Time clock rounding to speed payroll calculations
- Unscheduled role selection to capture detailed wage and role info for ad hoc clock ins
- Overtime and holiday pay rates
- Missed break awards to stay compliant
- Converting excess paid break time to unpaid time to stay on budget
- Prevent early clock ins (with manager override capability) and save hundreds of dollars a year in early clock ins. (Requires schedule use)
- Prevent employees from ending breaks early SME and push notifications to remind employees to clock out
You may use as many iPad time clocks in each location as you like. Provided that each iPad maintains connectivity to the internet, they will sync within a second or two for any activity. You must have a stable internet connection to use the Homebase tablet time clock.
If you are using multiple iPads and you lose internet connectivity, encourage your team to use only ONE iPad for all time clock activities.
Using different types of time clocks
Homebase offers numerous time clock options:
- iPad time clock
- Android time clock
- Mobile app time clock
- Web time clock
- POS integrated time clocks (Toast POS and Clover POS)
Assuming that all devices are connected to the internet, you may use one or many types of time clock for your location, and activities will sync across the system within minutes. Visit he time clock settings page to learn more about your time clock options.
If your iPad loses connectivity to the internet, you may continue to use the iPad time clock.
To ensure accuracy and timeliness, Homebase imposes a 30 hour limit on the amount of time you can use the iPad time clock without connecting to the internet.
During offline mode, your team can clock in, clock out, start a break and end a break.
Scheduled shifts will not appear in offline mode.
Manager permissions for early clock in and early break end will not be enabled.
If you use more than one iPad, they will not sync when offline, so if an employee clocks in on one iPad, the second iPad will not reflect that clock in. If you lose connectivity on all iPads, encourage your team to use only one iPad for time clock activities.
Time cards are not updated until the iPad is connected to the internet, so you may see late arrivals and no-shows on your dashboard and timesheets until your connectivity is restored.
It is important that you restore connectivity on your iPad(s) as quickly as possible.