New Company Registration for Texas

Have more questions? Submit a request

Tax Agency

Texas Workforce Commission

Type of Tax

State Unemployment Tax (UI)
Once wages are paid ($1,500 or more*), employers should register with the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) within 10 days of becoming liable for Texas unemployment tax. 

*Who is a Liable Employer for Texas Unemployment Insurance tax? 

Registration Steps:

  1. Register for a TWC Account Number
    • Go to TWC website
    • Click logon to register for a new unemployment tax account
    • Logon with your existing TWC User ID or create a new User ID
    • Under quick links, select Sign Up for User ID
    • Answer a series of questions about the ownership of the business and the number of locations
    • Once the registration is complete, liable employers will receive a TWC Tax Account Number instantly

Update your Homebase account with your Texas Workforce Commission Account Number. Your TWC Account Number is required for all Texas interactions to ensure your account is accurate.
Please call the Texas Workforce Commission at 512-463-2699 or email: with any questions

Setting Up Third-Party Administrator (TPA) access

In order for our tax filing partner, Check Technologies, to achieve Third Party Administrator Access, it is necessary for you to complete the following steps:

1. Login to your TWC online services account.
2. Click on “User Admin”, to the right of the “My Home” tab.
3. Select “Applicant List” under the “Quick Links” table. You should see “KOHL, Jim; Check
4. Under the “Action” header, click on “Review”. If you don’t see “KOHL, JIM”, it is because
Check Technologies hasn’t requested access due to online account limitations. Please
verify you have set up an administrator for your TWC account.
5. On the “Review Applicant” page, click on the “Approve” button.
6. On the “User Permissions” page, click the checkbox for the following permissions:
a. Manage Wage Reports
b. Make Payment
c. View Payment
7. Click “Submit”


Note: Texas does not impose a state income tax

This article is not intended to be tax, legal, financial, or HR advice. Rules and regulations change over time and can vary by location. Consult with a lawyer, accountant, Tax, or HR expert for specific guidance.

Last Updated 11/1/2021

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful