The New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department
New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions
Type of Tax
Anyone engaging in business in New Mexico must register as an employer with the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department.
- Register for a New Mexico Business Tax Identification Number and Workers Compensation Fee
- Go to New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department Taxpayer Access Point (TAP).
- Under Businesses click "Apply for a New Mexico Business Tax ID" and follow prompts to register your business with the state and obtain a tax account ID.
- During this process, you will also be asked to register for the Workers Compensation fee
- This registration step will also create a TAP account which will allow you to access your withholding account
- Upon completion and approval of the online application you may go to the Taxpayer Access Point (TAP) website and log into your account with the credentials set up during the application.
- New Mexico Workers Compensation Fee
- All employers of 3 or more employees, whether part-time, full-time, temporary or leased are required to carry workers' compensation coverage
- The fee is not the same as the workers’ compensation insurance premium. Paying the fee does not mean that the employer has workers’ compensation insurance coverage. The employer must obtain a workers’ compensation insurance policy..
- Employers can visit NM Workers Compensation Administration for additional information on workers compensation insurance
Update your Homebase account with your New Mexico Business Tax ID. Your New Mexico ID is required for all New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department interactions to ensure your account is accurate.
If you have any questions regarding this process, please call a customer support representative at (505) 827-0700 or send a direct message via their website at contact us. Additionally, new employer and new business tax workshops are also offered by the NM Department of Revenue and can be found on the contact us page along the left side.
Type of Tax
Unemployment Insurance Tax (UI)
- Register for a New Mexico Unemployment Employer Account Number.
- Before New Mexico will allow a business to register, it must have already paid out wages to an employee
- Go to New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions
- Select “Employer Registration” and complete all steps
- Create a user ID and password to access your SUI account information
- After you receive Employer Account Number
- Go to New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions and set up access to the Unemployment Insurance Tax System
- Select “Employer Login”
- Enter Employer Account Number and complete all steps
- Third-party Access required
- Go to New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions and click on UI system Login at top right corner of screen
- Select Employer login
- Using user ID and password log into the Unemployment Insurance Tax System
- From the employer home page select the ‘Account Maintenance’ link
- Select the Third Party Administrator (TPA) Authorization Link
- To add a Third Party Administrator (TPA), select ‘New’
- Enter the ‘TPA ID’ for check- TPA ID: 500002855
- Assign the following roles: Account Maintenance View Only, Payments Update and Submit, and Employment Wage Detail Update and Submit
- NM provides administrator PDF guide
Update your Homebase account with your New Mexico Unemployment Employer Account Number. Your employer account number is required for all NM Department of Workforce Solutions interactions to ensure your account is accurate.
For assistance call the UI operations Center at 1-877-664-6984 or email email@example.com. Additionally, an Employer Activation Guide can be found on the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions page along the right side.
*Note: Homebase uses a payroll partner, Check for backend payroll processing.
This article is not intended to be tax, legal, financial, or HR advice. Rules and regulations change over time and can vary by location. Consult with a lawyer, accountant, Tax, or HR expert for specific guidance.
Last Updated 12/1/2021