The IRS requires that all W-2 and 1099 forms for 2021 are postmarked or provided electronically by January 31, 2022. Homebase is handling electronic and mail distribution this year, and here’s how they’ll work.
What are the forms?
Employees and contractors may receive one or more forms from each of their employers for a tax year. It’s important to include all of these in your tax filings.
- W-2 - These forms report income to employees.
- W-2c - These are amendments to W-2's and report corrections to the original version of the form. A W-2c will only be created if there are errors in the original W-2.
- 1099 - These forms report income paid to contractors. Amendments to these forms are also called 1099's but will have the “corrections” box checked on them.
For employees and contractors
Accessing forms electronically
Employees and contractors will have access to their forms through Homebase. You can access these by going to your profile and finding the tax documents section, then downloading them there. Be sure to download all forms for the year including those for any employer using Homebase and all amendments.
Can’t find your forms? If Homebase wasn’t your payroll provider through the end of 2021, reach out to your employer as your forms may be with a different payroll company.
If you didn’t elect to have forms delivered electronically (you can change this setting in your profile), your form will be mailed to you by January 21 and you should receive it by January 31. If you don’t get it by then, reach out to your employer to get a new copy.
Electronic access to forms will be provided to all of your employees and contractors. They can use the instructions above to access their forms.
If your team didn’t choose to have forms distributed electronically, Homebase will be handling mailing forms for 2021 including 1099's, W-2's and W-2c's to the address in your team member's profile as of December 31, 2021. These forms will be mailed by January 21 and should arrive by January 31. If you receive a form that the post office couldn’t deliver, you should retain the returned copies of these forms for compliance purposes. If someone wants a copy of their form re-sent or sent to a different address, reach out to our support team.
Printing/mailing forms on your own
If you’d prefer to print and/or mail these forms yourself, you can use these instructions.
- To access an employee or contractor’s forms, go to that person’s profile and find the tax documents section.
- Download the forms and print them on standard 8.5” x 11” paper using black ink.
- To mail the forms, be sure to get the correct envelopes. W-2's should be mailed in 6666-2 envelopes, and 1099's should be mailed in 7777-2 envelopes.