It is that time of year again!
Year-end documents will be made available for your employees by January 20, 2023 in their Homebase profile. The IRS requires that all W-2 and 1099 forms for 2022 are postmarked or provided electronically by January 31, 2023.
What is a W-2 or 1099?
Employees and contractors may receive one or more forms from each of their employers for a tax year. It’s important to include all of these in your tax filings.
- W-2 - These forms report income to employees.
- W-2c - These are amendments to W-2's and report corrections to the original version of the form. A W-2c will only be created if there are errors in the original W-2.
- 1099 - These forms report income paid to contractors. Amendments to these forms are also called 1099's but will have the “corrections” box checked on them.
For employees and contractors
Accessing forms electronically
Employees and contractors will have access to their forms through Homebase. You can access these by going to your profile and finding the tax documents section, then downloading them there. Be sure to download all forms for the year including those for any employer using Homebase and all amendments.
Homebase will not mail year-end forms to employees or contractors.
Can’t find your forms? If Homebase wasn’t your payroll provider through the end of 2022, reach out to your employer as your forms may be with a different payroll company.
Electronic access to forms will be provided to all of your employees and contractors. They can use the instructions above to access their forms.
Printing/mailing forms on your own
- To access an employee or contractor’s form, go to that person’s profile and find the tax documents section.
- Download the forms and print them on standard 8.5” x 11” paper using black ink.
- To mail the forms, be sure to get the correct envelopes. W-2s should be mailed in 6666-2 envelopes, and 1099s should be mailed in 7777-2 envelopes.