New Company Registration for California

Have more questions? Submit a request

Tax Agency

Employment Development Department

Type of Tax

California State Personal Income Tax Withholding (PIT)
Unemployment Insurance Tax (UI)
State Disability Insurance Tax (SDI)

If you operate a business and employ one or more employees, you must register as an employer with the Employment Development Department (EDD) when you pay wages in excess of $100 in a calendar quarter. 

Registration Steps:

  1. Create a username and password.
    • Go to e-Services for Business.
    • Select the “Enroll” box.
    • Enter the required information and select “Continue”
    • Select the verification link in the email sent to you by the EDD to complete the enrollment process.
      Important: If you do not verify your email address within 24 hours, you will need to restart the enrollment process.
  2. Log in to e-Services for Business.
    • Select “New Customer”
    • Select “Register for Employer Payroll Tax Account Number”
    • Complete the online registration application.
    • Select “Submit”

Once you have registered your business with the EDD, you will be issued an eight-digit employer payroll tax account number (example: 000-0000-0), also known as a State Employer Identification Number, SEIN, or state ID number.

Update your Homebase account with your employer payroll tax account number. Your employer payroll tax account number is required for all EDD interactions to ensure your account is accurate.

For assistance, call the EDD Taxpayer Assistance Center at 1-888-745-3886.

This article is not intended to be tax, legal, financial, or HR advice. Rules and regulations change over time and can vary by location. Consult with a lawyer, accountant, Tax, or HR expert for specific guidance.

Last Updated 11/1/2021

Was this article helpful?
2 out of 2 found this helpful