Maryland Department of Revenue
Type of Tax
State Withholding Income Tax
Unemployment Insurance Tax (UI)
- Combined registration for Central Registration Number (CRN) for income tax and your Employer Account Number for unemployment tax
- Go to Comptroller of Maryland online
- Click Begin Registration located at the bottom of the screen
- Register for both state income tax withholding and unemployment tax
- Create a username and password for Maryland Department of Labor
- Go to Maryland Unemployment Beacon employer portal
- Click “I need to activate my account”
- Enter your Employer Account Number and either last payment, gross wages reported, or an activation code (sent after registration).
- Once you are logged in, you will set up and username and password and 3 security questions.
For additional assistance, Beacon Employer Tutorial Videos are available.
To assist Employers and Agents with account activation, the Division has created a special Employer/Agent account activation hotline. The account activation hotline can be reached at 410-767-8997 or you may also email email@example.com.
Third-party Administrator (TPA) access
In order to file and pay Mar taxes on your behalf, you must grant Check access to your Beacon account
- Sign in to your Maryland Unemployment Beacon employer portal
- Under "Your Options", select Account Maintenance
- Under "Employer Account", select Agent Assignment
- Click Add Agent
- Enter Check’s agent account number: MD3Z8J
- Upload POA to the portal
- Under the “Assign roles” section, select
- Wage submission (original and amended)
- Payment submission
- Enter begin date, date this is being completed and leave end date blank
For additional assistance, Beacon Employer Agent Authorization tutorials are available.
*Note: Homebase uses a payroll partner, Check for backend payroll processing.
This article is not intended to be tax, legal, financial, or HR advice. Rules and regulations change over time and can vary by location. Consult with a lawyer, accountant, Tax, or HR expert for specific guidance.
Last Updated 11/1/2021