West Virginia Department of Revenue
WorkForce West Virginia
Type of Tax
State Withholding Income Tax
Unemployment Insurance Tax (UI)
- Combined registration for West Virginia State withholding and West Virginia Unemployment
- Go to West Virginia Secretary of State Website
- Click on Register a new business
- Click on One Stop Business Portal
- Create a user account
- Complete your user account registration, including setting up a password and security questions and click register
- Follow and complete remaining registration steps
Update your Homebase account with your West Virginia Withholding Tax Account Number and Unemployment Compensation Employer Number. Your Account Numbers are required for all West Virginia Department of Revenue and WorkForce West Virginia interactions to ensure your account is accurate.
If you have any questions regarding this process, please call agency at 304-558-8000 or email Business@wvsos.gov
West Virginia locals
Type of Tax
Local Withholding Income Tax
- Register for local Withholding Account ID
Several cities require a local tax on individuals working within their jurisdiction. To learn about your requirements in this area, begin by contacting the city/county government where your business location(s) in West Virginia will be located. You should also check with each city/county government where you intend to transact business or have a business presence.
Update your Homebase account with all local account number(s). Your local account number(s) is required for all West Virginia local tax interactions to ensure your account(s) is accurate.
This article is not intended to be tax, legal, financial, or HR advice. Rules and regulations change over time and can vary by location. Consult with a lawyer, accountant, Tax, or HR expert for specific guidance.
Last Updated 12/17/2021