What is an Off-Cycle Payroll Run?
You might need to pay your team outside of your regular pay schedule for a variety of reasons, and to do that you can run an off-cycle payroll as opposed to running a regular payroll. There are no extra fees to run an off-cycle payroll.
Off-cycle payrolls use the same fields as a regular payroll run (withholding rates, deductions, and contributions). Therefore it is similar to running a regular payroll with the difference being the timing of the run.
Equating an off-cycle payroll run to “Custom Payroll Run” or “Manual Payroll Run” is a great way to think about it.
What are the reasons I might need to run an off-cycle payroll?
The most common reasons are:
- Wage correction
- Forgot to include employee in regular payroll run
- Failed to include additional pay (tips are a common one)
- Missed hours for one or more employees on the regular payroll run
- Adjust salaried employee pay
- Late payroll run
- Bonus Pay
- Holiday Pay
- Missed pay increases
- Sick Pay
- An employee needing to be paid before the next payday
- Outstanding wages or severance to a terminated employee
- Wages received from alternate sources (Cashapp, Zelle, Venmo)
- And many more!
How do I run an off-cycle payroll?
1. Select Run off-cycle payroll on your Payroll tab
2. Select applicable team members
3. Name your off-cycle payroll with a distinguishable title for your records.
4. Select a reason for Off-Cycle run
5. Select the payday you want for this particular Off-Cycle run
6. Select the pay period
7. Choose the method of hours input
a. Manually enter hours - Selecting this will allow you to enter a custom amount of hours for this Off-Cycle run
b. Import time cards from selected pay period - Selecting this will allow you to import the employee’s hours from Homebase timecards.
8. Select Withholding Rate
9. Apply benefits and/or post-tax deductions
10. Manually enter the hours if you chose to do so in step 7. If not, follow the instructions as you would for a regular payroll
11. Follow stages 3 and 4 and click Submit.
🎉 Congratulations! You've just run an off-cycle payroll! 🎉